Saturday, April 26, 2008

Still Kickin

Hey Everyone! I know it has been a long while since you’ve heard from me. Life got me a little side tracked. I’m going to start back with an entry I began to write a while ago and never finished/posted. Then I’ll make a real effort to bring you up to speed from there. Love ya, Haley


*I can’t believe it’s been this long since I last updated. A lot has been going on. I’ve done some traveling as I had hoped. January brought me to Santa Fe and Taos in northern New Mexico to see a friend. It was great to have someone living there show me around. And it’s beautiful! Mountains in every direction. Santa Fe has a strong Spanish feel to it and it felt great to be surrounded by that vibe again. It is also an art community with artwork EVERYWHERE and of every style and media you can think of. There is one street in particular that is lined with galleries carrying pieces of art in the $10,000 (some more) range where the sidewalk is packed down dirt. Talk about a contradiction! There are so many parts making up the whole of this city with a small town feel. We took a drive up into the Sangre de Cristo Mountains to Taos (skiing destination extraordinaire). By accident, we took the twisty turny route through the towns nestled in the mountain side. I’m so glad we did. The vista (view) was spectacular. It’s amazing to see the peaks in the distance and then an hour later realize you can’t see them as well because you’re in them!! And have you ever wondered what in the world they were singing about in the song Amazing Grace when they refer to ‘Purple mountains majesty’? They did not have a case of overactive imagination, it’s for real. One the drive out, the closer we got to sunset, the more the colors on the peaks changed and I swear they were a very majestic PURPLE. :-)

I was surprised at how cold it was while I was there. Though it was no comparison to what I would experience the next week….

The trip was wonderful all around. I was happy to connect with a friend, see the things I saw, and even eat at The Shed (a restaurant in Santa Fe where New Mexican cuisine is at its finest. Yumm.) Can’t wait til I can go back.

When I left there, I returned to Carlsbad to work for a whole 3 days, then got back on a plane….

No comments: