Sunday, September 27, 2009

And the adventure continues...

(Sept 25th)
Hey everybody!!

I´m back - in more ways than one. My travels have brought me back to Spain and with my newest adventure, I´ve renewed my effort to bring you along with me. Especially those of you I promised to put in my suitcase. (Sorry, no room. I actually threw away my last pair of socks because I didn´t have the patience to fit them in my bags!)

I was already a bit worn out when I started my trip, so the 28+ hour journey felt like days. I slept when I could on the planes, but it didn´t add up to much. On my long flight from Philadelphia to London I did have a very nice flight attendent. I asked for tomato juice, he suggested a Bloody Mary...I asked for chicken, he suggested white wine. Very nice man indeed.

Granada was my final destination. (My favorite place in the world if you didn´t already know!) My friend Toñy was the greatest and met me to help get my bags to the hostel. It was wonderful to find out I didn´t lose as much of my Spanish as I thought. I´m pleasantly surprised to realize how much more I understand this year! I guess it took a summer away to fall into place.

I even got to bed at a normal spanish time so my body will adjust to the time change quicker. I slept fairly well, considering my body is very confused (I´m six hours ahead of Michigan). This morning I woke up and decided to go for a walk through Granada. First, I tended to some errands and then looked for flyers for available apartments to rent.

I felt like skipping through the streets! Even grocery shopping was fun. I got all the ingredients to make my favorite tuna sandwich on fresh baked baguette bread. MmmMmmMmm. After lunch came a glorious nap. The siesta is a beautiful thing. In the evening, I went to see my first apartment and explored the neighborhood. Before the day escaped me, I sent some emails home. Now I am relaxing and happy it´s time for another round of sleep.

It´s amazing that this place doesn´t seem so - for lack of a better word - foreign to me anymore. It´s comforting to know where I´m going and what to ask for. I hope this helps me to find new challenges this year. I´m so grateful for the opportunites that I have here. They haven´t come free, but I believe them to be worth the sacrifices!! Thank you all for sticking with me and having my back!!

P.S. I bought stamps, so the first ten postcards I send out have no reason to stay on my desk!!

3 comments:

ReB said...

Welcome back!

Unknown said...

I am so there with you right now. I am glad that you have made it there safely. I can't wait to see the blog to see what is new. If this adventure brings you to Lina, give her my love and .... well, just my love should be enough for now. Take care and have a gofre de chocolate for me. I can still taste the damn things.

Aunt Barb said...

Glad all is going well. I will keep watching your blog. Have a great time.