Saturday, January 24, 2009

Part 2: Zalamea

After the xmas party, I had a fairly quiet weekend. My girls left town one by one and then on Tuesday I went to Cordoba to meet my friend (and co-worker) Marta. Marta and I were set for a road trip adventure. She is a fairly new driver and this was her first trip taking a brand new route that she wasn’t certain of. Neither one of us cared; we had each other and were excited to get to her grandma’s house. The plan was to go to Zalamea (pronounced Tha-la-MAY-ah) in the province of Extremadura. I had never been there before and always love seeing new parts of Spain. I was very nervous to meet her family, though. They were being so great for taking me in for the holidays, especially when they had never met me before.

I had nothing to worry about! I first met her grandma. Her name is Tini, but everyone calls her Abuelita which is like saying Gram, Granny, or one of the other variations we have. Marta’s Aunt Cristina was also there to welcome us. The four of us had lunch and then we took a little siesta. A couple hours later, the rest of the family arrived; Luis Sr., Maria Jose, and Luis Jr. Meeting all of these people would have been enough to keep me busy, but I had just gotten started. Down the block lives her grandpa from the other side of the family. At his house, there was Abu (another nickname for a grandparent), Marta’s 5 aunts and uncles with their spouses, and a handful of cousins. After about 5 minutes my brain was on overload and stayed that way for 2 weeks! Haha.

We stayed in Zalamea for about 5 days. It is a very small pueblo (village/town) where everyone knows everyone. Every time we went out I met more family friends. We were constantly going out for coffee, a beer, or visiting with the family at Abu’s house. I ate so well! There was always something to pick at. We had many different pork dishes, quiche, shrimp, fish soup, tortilla, paella, seafood salad, and much, much more.

No comments: